Monday, August 10, 2009
Yes, we are having an end-of-the-summer vacation and loving it! I'm enjoying our last year before I have a kiddo in school and we are tied to a school schedule...aw, the beauty of having preschoolers. We're on our own schedule!
Happy August, friends!
Friday, July 31, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Love when it's simple!
Saturday, July 11, 2009
- I have energy.
- I'm not nauseated.
- My house has been cleaned this week.
- I'm cooking my family dinners again.
- I even baked some banana bread today.
Happy July everyone!
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes- lay in the bottom of a casserole dish
- Add in chopped onion and pieces of ham (thinly sliced)
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper
- Repeat layers as desired
- Add in about 1" of milk
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour
Then, enjoy the potato, ham, and cheesy goodness! I'm ready- it's going in the oven right now! Throw together a side salad, or maybe some green beans... Dinner! My family will be so happy for something different than the sandwiches lately!
I'll post pics soon!
Sunday, June 28, 2009
On Tuesday, while the men loaded the moving truck, the ladies cleaned the house. I brought lunch over for all the help- and I must say, it was easier to feed 15-20 people than I imagined! I used a friend's pulled pork sandwich recipe which was so simply done in the crockpot overnight. Throw in some baked potato quicksides, and a big batch of brownies and fresh strawberries.... Wa Lah! I looked like a domestic goddess! Everyone raved about the food and were so grateful for a good lunch in the midst of the work. I was glad to do it- and I'll definitely tuck this secret away for next time I need to feed a big group!
And, by the way, evidently all I had to do was post about the cool weather, and it was whisked away. It's been in the 90's for several days now! The popsicles are being devoured!
Happy June- for a little longer!
Monday, June 22, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
More to come soon,
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
- Lasagna- made some last week and doubled the recipe, so there's a pan in the freezer!
- Orange chicken and rice- a quick meal, thanks to Costco
- Pizza- crust, sauce, and all the fixins are in the freezer
- Sloppy joes- made a double batch of the meat and froze half earlier in the week; Dad just needs to pair it with quickside potatoes, and dinner is done!
Of course, my hubby always does a great job taking care of the kids, even if I don't have freezer meals ready, but maybe this will make it easier. However, if he takes the boys camping like he says he is, I'll have several easy meals for when I get back home!
I'm going to miss my little family, but eager for this mini-vacation... now on to packing!
See you next week,
Thursday, May 7, 2009
- Make vegetables interesting by serving them shredded or julienned. Mix shredded carrots into applesauce for young children, or put them on a peanut butter sandwich - with or without raisins - for older kids.
- Start a vegetable garden so that kids can eat the veggies they grow! We'll be trying this with container gardening soon...
- Add pureed vegetables into soups, spaghetti sauce, and casseroles. You'll get extra vegetable servings in their diet, and they won't even know!
- In order to cool down soups that are too hot for young ones, add frozen mixed veggies. They will begin to think of veggies as a way of making their food ready to eat quickly!
- A child may need to be exposed to a certain food 10-15 times before he'll actually eat it. Continue to offer a variety of vegetables even if your child refuses to eat them.
Hang in there!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
For tonight's meal, we're having Mexican, of course. Well, not authentic, but tacos at least- a really easy meal! And to try to interest my kids in expanding their tolerance for vegetables, I'm going to mix together black beans and corn. They really love beans, but aren't fans of corn- hopefully by combining the two they'll be more open to it. After dinner, hubby and I'll enjoy a margarita in honor of Mexican independence!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Monday, May 4, 2009
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
2 bananas (peeled)
2 c. strawberries (fresh- washed and tops removed or frozen)
1 c. plain yogurt
1 c. milk
Combine fruit into the blender with yogurt and milk and blend. Serve and enjoy!
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Monday- apricot glazed pork chops, baked potatoes, and asparagus
Tuesday- turkey soup, salad, and bread
Wednesday- taco salad with queso
Thursday- chili and cornbread
Friday- grilled hotdogs, chips, and applesauce (kids' choice night)
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Potato and Cheddar Bacon Soup
Prep and cook time: 23 minutes
Serving size: 2 cups
Numbers of serving: 4
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
½ cup green onion, chopped (optional)
1 (26 oz.) bag of frozen chopped baked potatoes with cheddar bacon sauce
3 ½ cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1- In a medium pot, cook onion in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soften (about 5 minutes)
2- Add milk and a bag of potatoes with cheddar bacon sauce to onion
3- Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted (about 8-10 minutes), stirring occasionally
4- Add salt, ground black pepper, and chives
5- Simmer 1 minutes and serve
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
If you're looking for a coupon for saving on these potatoes, click here!
Monday, April 6, 2009
Monday- hamburgers and corn-on-the-cob (it's grilling weather here!)
Tuesday- lasagna, salad, and french bread
Wednesday- pulled pork sandwiches, sour cream & chive baked potatoes
Thursday- honey dijon chicken, rice, and green beans (yummy recipe- I'll try to post later!)
Friday- soft tacos and black beans (love keeping Friday nights easy, so we can enjoy our family time)
It's a pretty simple plan this week, but my boys will be full and happy! If anyone else has favorite dishes they put into their meal plans, I'd love to hear about them.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Monday- Turkey tortilla soup with cheesey biscuits (a family favorite)
Tuesday- Sloppy joes with broccoli and cheese baked potatoes (quick & easy side dish I found)
Wednesday- Chicken thai wraps with coconut rice (new recipe from a good friend)
Thursday- Elk steaks, sauteed mushrooms, baked potatoes
Friday- Pizza & salad (plus family movie night!)