Saturday, May 30, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
More to come soon,
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
- Lasagna- made some last week and doubled the recipe, so there's a pan in the freezer!
- Orange chicken and rice- a quick meal, thanks to Costco
- Pizza- crust, sauce, and all the fixins are in the freezer
- Sloppy joes- made a double batch of the meat and froze half earlier in the week; Dad just needs to pair it with quickside potatoes, and dinner is done!
Of course, my hubby always does a great job taking care of the kids, even if I don't have freezer meals ready, but maybe this will make it easier. However, if he takes the boys camping like he says he is, I'll have several easy meals for when I get back home!
I'm going to miss my little family, but eager for this mini-vacation... now on to packing!
See you next week,
Thursday, May 7, 2009
- Make vegetables interesting by serving them shredded or julienned. Mix shredded carrots into applesauce for young children, or put them on a peanut butter sandwich - with or without raisins - for older kids.
- Start a vegetable garden so that kids can eat the veggies they grow! We'll be trying this with container gardening soon...
- Add pureed vegetables into soups, spaghetti sauce, and casseroles. You'll get extra vegetable servings in their diet, and they won't even know!
- In order to cool down soups that are too hot for young ones, add frozen mixed veggies. They will begin to think of veggies as a way of making their food ready to eat quickly!
- A child may need to be exposed to a certain food 10-15 times before he'll actually eat it. Continue to offer a variety of vegetables even if your child refuses to eat them.
Hang in there!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
For tonight's meal, we're having Mexican, of course. Well, not authentic, but tacos at least- a really easy meal! And to try to interest my kids in expanding their tolerance for vegetables, I'm going to mix together black beans and corn. They really love beans, but aren't fans of corn- hopefully by combining the two they'll be more open to it. After dinner, hubby and I'll enjoy a margarita in honor of Mexican independence!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Monday, May 4, 2009
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
2 bananas (peeled)
2 c. strawberries (fresh- washed and tops removed or frozen)
1 c. plain yogurt
1 c. milk
Combine fruit into the blender with yogurt and milk and blend. Serve and enjoy!